Hi everyone!
It’s apple season! We are blessed to live near wonderful orchards that offer plenty of fresh, delicious and inexpensive choices. If you are a novice canner, applesauce is a good product to get your feet wet with. Also, you can freeze or dry apple slices for long term storage.
Where to go get apples – and fried pies and boiled peanuts! (and for those who have asked me, I like BJ Reece’s place for variety and price, and it’s always good to check Hudson’s for grade-outs)
Ellijay apple houses
http://www.pickyourown.org/
http://www.allaboutapples.com/
Atlanta Farmer’s Market
http://www.pickyourown.org/
How to do it
http://www.freshpreserving.
http://www.caes.uga.edu/
Frankly, one of the best places to research canning supplies in terms of price and selection
Also, you can check hardware stores or Walmart or eBay for supplies. For applesauce, you only need a water bath canner; if you decide to can other things and procure a pressure canner, be sure and have the gauge checked before you use it (especially if you bought it used)
Call this lady and have your pressure canning equipment checked out (by appointment):
Michele S. Melton
UGA Cooperative Extension
Forsyth Co. Extension Agent/FACS
101 E. Maple St. - Suite 200
Cumming, GA 30040
Phone: 770-887-2418
Fax: 770-887-2403
Email: msmelton@uga.edu
Website: www.ugaextension.com/forsyth
OTHER RESOURCE INFO:
Also, I found a GREAT mail-order spice supply company (www.penzeys.com) that specializes in hand-blends and offers an amazing variety of product. I asked them to send me a couple dozen catalogs to pass out to you all and I only got 7, so go online and check out their catalog there; it’s chock full of fantastic general information about kinds of spices, their uses, storage recommendations (hello! They recommend storing a year’s worth!) that will broaden your palate for variety in your food storage.
AND, I stumbled across a restaurant and kitchen supply place when I was in Pittsburgh that is the real deal, hurray! I got killer commercial quality spatulas (the sturdy rubber ones that look like shallow spoons, you know?) for $ 0.88 each (they retail – at a lower quality – for $6-7) and all kinds of goodies like that. I’m telling you about this place specifically because they also carry those aluminum disposable lasagna pans (like when you take a casserole to someone and don’t want to hassle with getting the pan back?) for $ 0.37 each (about $2.00 retail) and the foil lid to match for $ 0.23 each; the ¼ sheet aluminum disposable cake pans are $ 0.36 each, and the big ol’ disposable turkey roaster pans are about $1.35 or so (instead of $5, yay!). Because you have to ship it here instead of buying it at the store, you have to buy the pans and lids by the case (of 100), but if you go in with friends you could divide and conquer! It’s a great thing if you are involved with a meal-swap group.
The website doesn’t list a fraction of what they carry – neither does the catalog- but if you call them and describe what you’re looking for, chances are they are going to have it (and believe me, I was asking for obscure, specialized kitchen tools). This is a great place to get stuff (like great big pots and pans and slotted spoons) to help you do batch processing of meals or even just provide you with good, sturdy kitchenware FOR UBERCHEAP as you cook your food storage! ;) Dean’s Supply (www.shopatdean.com).
No comments:
Post a Comment